ESG and Supply Chain Risk Management and Resiliency
Benchmarking for Sustainable Buying
Health Care Without Harm and Practice Greenhealth work with hospitals and health systems to define environmental sustainability criteria and to drive spending on environmentally preferable products. The 2021 Practice Greenhealth Benchmark Report spotlights how healthcare organizations are advancing their environmental purchasing strategies, as well as where there are opportunities to deepen commitments.
• 79% of hospitals reporting to Practice Greenhealth engaged with supply chain leadership on sustainable procurement.
• 78% of hospitals reporting to Practice Greenhealth engaged suppliers on sustainable procurement.
• 70% had a sustainable procurement policy that is considered when making purchasing decisions.
• 65% of reporting hospitals made the evaluation of purchases based on environmental criteria a responsibility or deliverable within an existing job role in 2021.
• Practice Greenhealth partners have reported more than $3.1 billion in spend on environmentally preferred products and services over the past eight years.
COVID-19 has served as a wake-up call for the healthcare industry to re-think how they approach the supply chain. Modern Healthcare Custom Media spoke with supply chain executives at leading health systems about how they are transforming the way their departments approach the supply chain to ensure it can weather current and future challenges and unexpected shortages.
The supply chain accounts for the largest percentage of healthcare’s carbon footprint–71%–and therefore, much can be done to improve environmental sustainability. Hospitals and health systems are also becoming more inclined to allocate portions of their supply chain budget to supporting locally owned vendors as well as minority-owned and women-owned businesses. This feature explores the work of leading health systems in these areas.
David Zuckerman, president and founder of Healthcare Anchor Network (HAN), sat down for a conversation with Modern Healthcare Custom Media about how supplier diversification is integral to health systems’ mission of improving health and lives.