Hospital Systems: 2020
Full survey results data from 55 of the nation's largest hospital and healthcare systems. Source: Modern Healthcare's 44th annual Hospital Systems Survey. Published July 13, 2020.
This download includes: An excel spreadsheet containing all data collected from systems that responded to Modern Healthcare's 2020 Hospital Systems Survey (listed alphabetically) and a PDF of the full hospital systems report, "Hospitals added beds to treat coronavirus patients. Will they keep them?" by Tara Bannow, including seven financial rankings of the following system types:
- Largest healthcare systems
- Largest not-for-profit healthcare systems
- Largest for-profit healthcare systems
- Largest public health systems
- Largest secular not-for-profit health systems
- Largest Catholic Church-affiliated health systems
- Largest religious non-Catholic not-for-profit health systems
All financial information in these rankings can be found in our premium searchable financial databases available here. The data points and questions answered provided in the survey results excel sheet are:
- System name
- Type of ownership
- Number of states the company operates in
- Do you have non-U.S. operations? Where?
- Total acute-care hospitals, 2019 and 2018
- Total staffed, acute-cate beds, 2019 and 2018
- Before the pandemic, did your system plan to reduce the number of staffed beds in 2020? By how many?
- Compared to your original plan, what impact will the pandemic have on your plans for staffed beds?
- Number of physicians employed at year-end fiscal 2019 and fiscal 2018
- Does your company plan on employing more or fewer physicians next year?
- If you purchased physician practices/employed more physicians in 2019, how did it affect financial performance?
- Previous to the pandemic, what percentage of volume growth did the system anticipate in outpatient settings in 2020?
- How has the pandemic affected that expected percentage?
- What organizations does the company contract with as an ACO?
- Does your ACO include post-acute care providers?
- Which type of risk-based contracts does the system engage in?
- What was the percentage of net patient revenue generated as part of risk-based contracts in fiscal 2019?
- What percentage is expected in 2020?
- Did the system achieve a surplus or loss on that risk-based volume in 2019?
- How many lives are covered by risk-based contracts?
- Are you negotiating revised quality metrics with insurance companies as a result of the pandemic?
- Did your system own all or part of an insurance company in 2019?
- If yes, how many covered lives did your insurance arm manage in 2019?
- What was the system's number 1 cost-cutting priority previous to the pandemic?
- What is the number 1 cost-cutting priority amid the pandemic?
Source: Modern Healthcare's 44th annual Hospital Systems Survey. Published July 13, 2020.
This Modern Healthcare Data Center product is free to Premium Web subscribers or can be purchased for $249. To become a Premium Web subscriber, visit our subscription page at modernhealthcare.com/subscribe.
Companies in this list
- Adventist Health
- Ardent Health Services
- Atlantic Health System
- Baptist Memorial Health Care Corp.
- Baylor Scott & White Health
- Broward Health
- Carilion Clinic
- Catholic Health Services of Long Island
- Children’s Mercy
- Cone Health
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health
- DCH Healthcare System
- Edward-Elmhurst Health
- Froedtert Health
- Geisinger Health System
- Hartford HealthCare
- Henry Ford Health System
- Houston Methodist
- Huntsville Hospital Health System
- Intermountain Healthcare
- Johns Hopkins Health System
- Kindred Healthcare
- Lee Memorial Health System
- LifePoint Health
- Mayo Clinic
- MedStar Health
- Memorial Healthcare System
- Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare
- Montefiore Health System
- Northern Light Health
- NorthShore University Health System
- Northwell Health
- Parkland Health & Hospital System
- Renown Health
- Rochester Regional Health
- RWJBarnabas Health
- Sanford Health
- Sentara Healthcare
- Sharp HealthCare
- Spectrum Health
- SSM Health
- Temple University Health System
- Trinity Health
- UCLA Health Hospital System
- UnityPoint Health
- Universal Health Services
- University Hospitals Health System
- Wellstar Health System
- Yale New Haven Health