Urban and rural hospitals with largest readmission penalties, 2020
With financial hits of up to $6.6 million, CMS' readmission reduction penalties can have a severe effect on hospitals' bottom lines.
Here is the full dataset of hospitals that received penalties and bonuses from CMS for their readmission rates from 2016-2019. Shortened urban and rural lists of providers given the largest readmission reduction penalties appear in the May 25 and June 8, 2020 issues.
Source: Publicly available data powered by HMP Metrics.
This dataset includes 10,742 records with the following data points for years 2016-2019:
- Provider number
- Provider name
- System affiliation
- Urban/rural classification
- Hospital type
- Total acute care beds
- Readmission reduction bonus (penalty) ($)
- Medicare inpatient revenue ($)
- Medicare total revenue ($)
- Penalties as a percentage of total Medicare inpatient revenue (%)
- Penalties as a percentage of total Medicare revenue (%)
This Modern Healthcare Data Center product is free to Premium Web subscribers or can be purchased for $99. To become a Premium Web subscriber, visit our subscription page at modernhealthcare.com/subscribe.