*NOTE: Crain's Data Membership is now required to access the lists.
The largest hospital systems were published online on Jul. 19, 2021 issue. We offer an Excel format which includes the largest 42, plus extra information.
This survey is published in conjunction with the full report by Alex Kacik, "Buyer's market: Physicians are weighing the best pitch." A download includes access to our interactive charting tool.
The spread includes responses to 26 questions from 42 health systems, including, but not limited to, the following:
System name, headquarters, contact information
Type of ownership
Operating revenue: fiscal 2020, 2019
Number of states operating in
Non-U.S. operations and their locations
Total acute-care hospitals, fiscal 2020 and 2019
Total staffed, acute-care beds, fiscal 2020 and 2019
Total physicians employed at fiscal year-end, 2020 and 2019
If you purchased physician practices/employed more physicians in 2020, how did it affect financial performance?
What percentage of volume growth did the system see in outpatient settings in 2020?
What organizations does the company contract with as an ACO?
Which type of risk-based contracts does the system engage in?
What was the percentage of net patient revenue generated as part of risk-based contracts in fiscal 2020?
Did the system achieve a surplus or loss on that risk-based volume in 2020? Please specify the amount.
How many lives are covered by risk-based contracts are Medicare lives?
How many lives are covered by risk-based contracts are covered by commercial insurers?
Are you revising quality metrics with insurance companies as a result of the pandemic? Please elaborate:
How many covered lives did your insurance arm manage in 2020?
What were the system's cost-cutting targets throughout 2020, and in again in 2021?
Does your health system track spending on quality improvement initiatives?
How many people do you employ working directly in quality improvement?
Pie chart use case example: In the Chart Field box, select Total. A second drop-down will appear with more options.
Select Operating Revenue (fiscal 2020) in this list.
In the second box, Group By, choose Type of Organization.
This allows you to see the aggregate revenue accumulated in fiscal 2020 for all responding systems, broken down by organization type.
Please reach out to [email protected] with any questions on this new tool.
The content you have requested requires a Premium Subscription.
Become a member > SUBSCRIBE NOW
Fields in this list
- Company name
- Street address
- Corporate E-mail
- Type of Organization
- Ownership Status
- Parent Company
- Fiscal Year End Month/Date
- 2020 Operating Revenue (fiscal year)
- 2019 Operating Revenue (fiscal year)
- Top Executive(s)
- 1. In how many states did you operate in 2020?
- 2. Please enter any non-U.S. operations below.
- 3. How many acute-care hospitals with a unique Medicare provider number did you own lease or sponsor at year-end fiscal 2020?
- 4. How many acute-care hospitals with a unique Medicare provider number did you own lease or sponsor at year-end fiscal 2019?
- 5. What was the total number of staffed acute-care beds at year-end fiscal 2020?
- 6. What was the total number of staffed acute-care beds at year-end fiscal 2019?
- 7. How many physicians were employed at year end fiscal 2020? (Please do not include residents in this count)
- 8. How many physicians were employed at year end fiscal 2019? (Please do not include residents in this count)
- 14. Please check off all types of risk-based contracts that the system engages in.
- 15. What percentage of the system's net patient revenue was generated as part of risk-based contracts in 2020?
- Please specify the amount of surplus/loss
- 18. How many lives covered by risk-based contracts are Medicare lives?
- 19. How many lives covered by risk-based contracts are covered by commercial insurers?
- If yes how many covered lives did your insurance arm manage in 2020?