To improve or innovate, regardless of the industry or profession, you must be willing to change. Some people focus on the challenges that accompany change instead of focusing on the opportunities. As healthcare continues to evolve, a willingness to change, execute better and faster, and not let barriers impact your passion to make a difference become increasingly important.
Healthcare professionals and organizations, many featured in this issue as among the Best Places to Work, are excelling even during turbulent times.
When asked at Studer Group to describe the common theme or success factors we most often see in healthcare organizations, we reply by referencing what we've found from working with thousands of healthcare organizations across the U.S., Canada and Australia: high-performing organizations that consistently commit to certain behaviors, not sometimes but always, have higher profit margins, better patient-experience ratings and better clinical quality-of-care ratings. And what do these organizations have in common?
• They invest in training and development to ensure leaders have the right skills and competencies to achieve expected outcomes.
• They recognize selection is key and employ forward-thinkers who are fully aligned with the organization's mission, vision and values.
• They hold leaders accountable for results and ensure those leaders can also clearly communicate expectations to their team members, leveraging a culture of always versus one of optionality.
• They ensure employees have a sense of pride and trust in their organization because senior leadership provides transparency.
• Leaders, employees and physicians understand the “why” in what they do.
The bottom line: True cultural transformation occurs when organizations harness the skills and talents of their teams to deliver performance excellence across the continuum of care.
As passionate healthcare professionals dedicated to making a difference, thank you for refusing to let the challenges and disruption in healthcare hinder progress and positive impact in the lives of others.