Dr. Toby Cosgrove, CEO of the Cleveland Clinic, has been named by President-elect Donald Trump to the new President's Strategic and Policy Forum.
“I am truly honored and privileged to take part in President-elect Donald Trump's Strategic and Policy Forum designed to grow and strengthen the United States' economy," Cosgrove said in a statement issued by the Clinic.
"I applaud his efforts to bring together leaders across industries to gain insight that will assist the new President in making important decisions that will impact every American. I am deeply committed and take this role very seriously,” he said.
The 16-member group "will be called upon to meet with the president frequently to share their specific experience and knowledge as the president implements his plan to bring back jobs and Make America Great Again," according to a statement issued on Friday, Dec. 2, from Trump's office.
The forum will be chaired by Stephen A. Schwarzman, chairman, CEO and co-founder of Blackstone.
Members of the forum "will be charged with providing their individual views to the president — informed by their unique vantage points in the private sector — on how government policy impacts economic growth, job creation and productivity," according to the statement. The goal of the group is to "provide direct input to the president from many of the best and brightest in the business world in a frank, non-bureaucratic and non-partisan manner."
Here are the members other than Cosgrove and Schwarzman:
• Paul Atkins, CEO, Patomak Global Partners LLC and former commissioner of the Securities and Exchange Commission
• Mary Barra, chairman and CEO, General Motors
• Jamie Dimon, chairman and CEO, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
• Larry Fink, chairman and CEO, BlackRock
• Bob Iger, chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Co.
• Rich Lesser, president and CEO, Boston Consulting Group
• Doug McMillon, president and CEO, Wal-Mart Stores Inc.
• Jim McNerney, former chairman, president and CEO, Boeing
• Adebayo "Bayo" Ogunlesi, chairman and managing partner, Global Infrastructure Partners
• Ginni Rometty, chairman, president and CEO, IBM
• Kevin Warsh, Shepard Family Distinguished Visiting Fellow in Economics at the Hoover Institute
• Mark Weinberger, global chairman and CEO, EY
• Jack Welch, former chairman and CEO, General Electric
• Daniel Yergin, Pulitzer Prize-winning author and vice chairman of IHS Markit
The Bloomberg news service noted that presidents "traditionally turn to business leaders for advice on the economy. For example, President Barack Obama named CEOs from companies including Xerox Corp. and Dow Chemical Co. to an advisory committee on international trade, while Schwarzman has partnered with the current administration on efforts to hire veterans."
"Cleveland Clinic CEO Toby Cosgrove named to President-elect Donald Trump's panel on jobs" originally appeared in Crain's Cleveland Business.