Just over 10 years ago, Apple made a difficult decision that would have an extraordinary impact on its future. At a time when the company had only 3% of the computer marketshare, two executives defied Steve Jobs to make iTunes compatible with the Windows operating system. Making iTunes interoperable with the system used by the other 97% of computer owners subsequently revolutionized the recording industry and the way we experience music.
If the audacity of two individuals transformed the way we enjoy music, imagine what healthcare would look like if it could harness that same drive for interoperability, building systems that allow for easy sharing of health and medical information. In June, the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology called on others to join it in developing a defined roadmap to collectively achieve health IT interoperability as a core foundational element of better care at a lower cost for all.
We're all in. Since 2009, the West Health Institute has been working to make high-quality healthcare more accessible and to improve the ability of medical devices to share data. This work is critical to transforming our healthcare system.