Medicaid expansion: Hundreds of thousands of low-income Pennsylvania adults could get healthcare coverage now that federal law expands Medicaid's income eligibility guidelines to 133% of the federal poverty level, or about $31,300 for a family of four. The sweeping 2010 federal healthcare law initially promises to foot 100 percent of the bill to expand Medicaid eligibility beginning Jan. 1. After the first three years, the federal share gradually declines to 90% and the state pays the remaining 10%.
The 2010 healthcare law: President Barack Obama's 2010 healthcare law had required states to go along with the Medicaid expansion as a way to ensure more residents have health insurance and that hospitals see fewer uninsured patients and need less financial assistance. However, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the federal government could not force states to expand Medicaid, effectively making it a state-by-state decision.