This webinar was originally broadcast on Wednesday, September 25, 2013, at 1:00pm CST.
Download the Slides
- "Understanding IPPS 2014: Clarifying Inpatient Admission Criteria and Part A to Part B" Webinar Slides (PDF)
Watch the Archived Presentation
- "Webinar: "Understanding IPPS 2014: Clarifying Inpatient Admission Criteria and Part A to Part B "" (via GotoWebinar)
About the Webinar
Effective October 1, 2013 CMS will fundamentally alter the manner in which hospitals define how inpatient status and outpatient observation is determined. The IPPS 2014 Final Rule contains two provisions that directly affect the day to day operations of the hospital. First, CMS has made significant changes to the criteria for medical necessity coverage concerning Part A inpatient hospital claims. Additionally, they have defined the manner in which providers can bill services under Part B following the determination that a Part A inpatient claim is denied based on medical necessity.
Compliance with the new time based medical necessity guidelines will be centered on an organization's ability to be agile through the implementation of new proformas, the application of prospective technology solutions and the interaction of these with retrospective data analytics. Additionally, physician education and compliance with increased documentation demands will be paramount.
By attending this webinar, you will learn:
- How the new time-based inpatient status rules will affect your hospital
- Strategies for implementation and compliance
- How to successfully manage Part A to Part B rebilling