To select Modern Healthcare's fifth biennial listing of the Top 25 Women in Healthcare, sponsored by Furst Group, the magazine issued a call for nominations on Dec. 10, 2012. The nomination deadline was Jan. 25. Readers submitted a total of 555 nominations, besting the record 324 nominations received in 2011.
The magazine accepted nominees from all sectors of the industry, including hospitals, health systems, physician organizations, insurance, government, vendors and suppliers, trade and professional organizations. To view the list of female healthcare leaders honored in 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2011, please visit the Recognition section of ModernHealthcare.com.
An editorial review board comprising the senior editors at Modern Healthcare reviewed this year's nominations and judged the candidates on the following five criteria. The candidate must have:
- Successfully served as a leader or managed an organization or company.
- Shown the ability or power to effect change in the healthcare industry.
- Demonstrated a willingness to share expertise with others in the field.
- Served as a role model or mentor to other female healthcare executives.
- Assumed a leadership position in the industry outside of the candidates' own organization or company.