The full sequence of the human genome—some 3 billion base pairs, including 20,500 genes—was published in April 2003. Yet nearly 10 years on, we have yet to see evidence of any avalanche of new drugs that can capitalize on that knowledge and specifically interact with DNA at the molecular level.
Last week, the global scientific community found out why: DNA is even more complicated than we thought it was. A lot more.
Scientists were surprised to learn 10 years ago that less than 2% of the human genome held the genes that contain instructions for creating the proteins that form the body's tissues. The other 98% seemed to be useless.