Alegent Health, part of Catholic Health Initiatives, has inked a deal to acquire Creighton University Medical Center-St. Joseph Hospital from Tenet Healthcare Corp, Dallas.
Terms of the deal, which is expected to close July 1, were not disclosed in an e-mailed news release.
Publicly traded Tenet has held a 74% stake in a limited liability company that operates 334-bed St. Joseph Hospital since 1995. Creighton University holds the remaining 26%. Both parties are selling their stakes in the LLC.
“The university will no longer be in the hospital business,” said Kim Manning, a spokeswoman for Creighton, who noted that the university's health sciences schools will continue to manage academic components. Alegent will be the primary teaching sites for those programs, according to the news release.