LAFAYETTE, La.—National Surgical Hospitals plans to buy a majority stake in Lafayette Surgical Specialty Hospital. The physician owners have agreed to sell a 56.9% interest in their 20-bed facility to the Chicago-based owner and operator of 14 surgical hospitals and seven ambulatory surgery centers. The sale is expected to close by Feb. 4. Additional terms of the deal were not disclosed, according to a National Surgical Hospitals news release. The 32 physician partners at Lafayette performed some 8,000 procedures in the institution's eight operating and two treatment rooms in 2010. The hospital has 176 employees, and it was named one of Modern Healthcare's Best Places to Work in Healthcare for 2010. Last January, National Surgical Hospitals opened Corpus Christi (Texas) Specialty Hospital, a 31-bed, five-operating room facility that it operates in partnership with 55 local physicians.
Regionals: National Surgical to buy stake in Lafayette Surgical and other news ...
LAFAYETTE, La.—LHC Group, a Lafayette-based home health and hospice provider, has acquired control of four hospice agencies in Alabama and an additional hospice location in Louisiana. The Alabama hospice assets were purchased from Hospice Complete, Birmingham, and they represent $4.8 million in annual net revenue, according to a news release. LHC Group also acquired Vital Hospice, based in Hammond, La., whose annual net revenue is $1.5 million. Terms of the deals were not disclosed. “These hospice acquisitions fit perfectly into our strategy of growing our hospice footprint in markets where we already have a strong presence in home health,” Keith Myers, LHC Group's CEO, said in the release. Additionally, LHC Group announced it had entered into a joint venture with Marshall County Hospital, Benton, Ky., to provide home health services to the surrounding community. Kathy Long, the hospital's CEO, said the organization planned to retain an ownership interest in its home health agency, but said the partnership with LHC Group would allow the hospital to expand its services.
SAN ANTONIO—Methodist Healthcare System completed its purchase of 75-bed Texsan Heart Hospital, according to MedCath Corp., one of the sellers. Charlotte, N.C.-based MedCath owned a 69% stake in the hospital, with physician investors owning the remaining 31%. Methodist paid $78.5 million for the hospital, according to MedCath. The San Antonio system is a 50-50 joint venture of investor-owned HCA, Nashville, and tax-exempt Methodist Healthcare Ministries, San Antonio. The hospital has been renamed Methodist Texsan Hospital, according to Methodist Healthcare System. The deal was announced in November. MedCath has completed five deals since announcing in March that it would consider strategic alternatives to its existing business partnerships. Those deals include selling its stakes in hospitals in Austin, Texas; Phoenix; and Sioux Falls, S.D., and its stake in a joint venture that provides cardiac catheterization services based in Yuma, Ariz.
ATLANTA—Urgent-care chain Immediate MedCare said it has entered into an agreement with the medical division of the Claxton Group, a property management group based in Kite, Ga., to own and operate 50 new care centers. The urgent-care centers will be located primarily in the Southeast, according to a news release from Immediate MedCare. The centers will be planned in “pods” of four in each market area, allowing facilities to share some costs, staff and other resources, according to the release. Immediate MedCare has branded itself as an upscale chain of centers, offering amenities such as cable television and free refreshments. The chain's facilities, which use electronic health records, also offer paperless billing and a patient portal. According to the release, Immediate MedCare recently partnered with Chattanooga, Tenn.-based Capstone Properties in a similar deal to open 50 new facilities.
ARLINGTON, Texas—Texas Health Resources, a not-for-profit health system, announced that it has acquired Medical Edge Healthcare Group, an independent physician practice comprising 280 physicians in North Texas. Terms of the deal, which closed Dec. 31, were not disclosed. Medical Edge employs 140 health professionals, along with the physicians. A total of 420 medical staff will now become part of Texas Health Physicians Group. “This enables Texas Health to become a ‘medical home' for thousands of North Texas patients,” Texas Health Resources CEO Douglas Hawthorne said in a news release about the deal.
Send us a letter
Have an opinion about this story? Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor, and we may publish it in print.