Two former executives of the bankrupt health care company Canopy Financial Inc. were charged Monday with swindling investors out of $75 million and illegally pocketing $19 million from accounts that were supposed to pay the medical bills of individuals nationwide.
Former executives charged in alleged health care fraud
Canopy's former president and chief operating officer, Jeremy Blackburn, 36, formerly of Malibu, Calif., had already been charged in a criminal complaint filed in December with operating a $60 million fraud. He was released on a $1 million bond.
A criminal information filed by federal prosecutors on Monday said the amount of fraud discovered by federal investigators had grown to $75 million. Also Monday, the government charged Canopy's chief technology officer, Anthony Banas, 32, of Chicago, with taking part in massive fraud.
The Chicago-based company was known as one of the nation's fastest growing businesses before it entered bankruptcy last November. Both executives were charged with two counts of wire fraud punishable by up to 20 years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines.
The government has asked the court to order the two men to forfeit $94 million plus watches and automobiles if they are convicted.
The documents filed Monday also said the two men had misappropriated some $19 million from health savings accounts and flexible spending accounts Canopy held and administered for individual clients.
Blackburn spent $2 million on a share in a private jet and paid $1 million to a luxury car dealer and another $1 million to a ticket broker, the charges said. Banas invested $300,000 in a nightclub, they said.
Blackburn's defense attorney, Ted Poulos, declined to comment on the charges. Banas' attorney, Royal B. Martin, did not immediately return a message left at his law office.
The problems at Canopy surfaced last fall when the company went into bankruptcy and came as a shock to those who relied on the health care accounts to pay their medical bills. The accounts were frozen last fall. The U.S. attorney's office said it would be sending victim notification letters to 1,600 people identified as victims so far.
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has filed a civil suit against the company, accusing it of using false information to lure several private investors to put $75 million into the company.
What do you think? Post a comment on this article and share your opinion with other readers. Submit your comments to Modern Healthcare Online at [email protected]. Please be sure to include your hometown and state, along with your organization and title.
Send us a letter
Have an opinion about this story? Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor, and we may publish it in print.