6. David Blumenthal, National coordinator for health Information technology, Washington
7. Carolyn Clancy, Director, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, Md.
8. Barry Straube, Director and chief clinical officer, CMS, Washington
9. Peter Orszag, Director, White House Office of Management and Budget, Washington
10. Andy Stern, President, Service Employees International Union, Washington
11. James Guest, President and CEO, Consumers Union
12. George Halvorson, Chairman and CEO, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, Calif.
13. Bill Gates, Chairman, Microsoft Corp.; co-founder, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Redmond, Wash.
14. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor, State of California, Sacramento
15. Nancy Pelosi, (D-Calif.), speaker of the House, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington
16. Richard Bracken, President and CEO, HCA, Nashville
17. Steve Burd, President and CEO, Safeway stores, Pleasanton, Calif., and an early advocate for national healthcare reform
18. Sister Carol Keehan, President, Catholic Health Association, Washington
19. Paul Diaz, President and CEO, Kindred Healthcare, Louisville, Ky.
20. Donald Berwick, President and CEO, Institute for Healthcare Improvement, Cambridge, Mass.
21. Henry Waxman, U.S. representative (D-Calif.), chairman, House Energy and Commerce Committee, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington
22. Drew Altman, President and CEO, Kaiser Family Foundation, Menlo Park, Calif.
23. Pamela Thompson, CEO, American Organization of Nurse Executives, Washington
24. Newt Gingrich, Founder, Center for Health Transformation, Washington
25. Bruce Yarwood, President and CEO, American Health Care Association, Washington
26. Ronald Williams, President and CEO, Aetna, Hartford, Conn.
27. Bill Carpenter, President and CEO, LifePoint Hospitals, Brentwood, Tenn.
28. Leah Binder, CEO, Leapfrog Group, Washington
29. Joel Allison, President and CEO, Baylor Health Care System, Dallas
30. Pete Stark, U.S. representative (D-Calif.), chairman, House Ways and Means Health Subcommittee, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington
31. Doug Hawthorne, CEO, Texas Health Resources, Arlington
32. Lloyd Dean, President and CEO, Catholic Healthcare West, San Francisco
33. Rebecca Patton, President, American Nurses Association, Washington
34. Christine Cassel, President and CEO, American Board of Internal Medicine, ABIM Foundation, Philadelphia
35. Rose Ann DeMoro, Executive director, California Nurses Association/Nurses Organizing Committee, Oakland
36. Nicholas Wolter, CEO, Billings (Mont.) Clinic
37. Dean Wilkerson, Executive director, American College of Emergency Physicians, Dallas
38. Susan Sheridan, Co-founder and president, Consumers Advancing Patient Safety, Chicago
39. Billy Tauzin, President and CEO, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, Washington
40. Eric Holder, U.S. attorney general, Justice Department, Washington
41. Angela Braly, President and CEO, WellPoint, Indianapolis
42. Ann Converso, President, United American Nurses, AFL-CIO, Silver Spring, Md.
43. Karen Davis, President, Commonwealth Fund, New York
44. Stephen Hemsley, President and CEO, UnitedHealth Group, Minnetonka, Minn.
45. Richard Clarke, President and CEO, Healthcare Financial Management Association, Westchester, Ill.
46. Christine Varney, Assistant attorney general, antitrust division, Justice Department, Washington
47. Richard Umbdenstock, President and CEO, American Hospital Association, Chicago
48. Mark Chassin, President, Joint Commission, Oakbrook Terrace, Ill.
49. Patricia Hemingway-Hall, President and CEO, Health Care Service Corp., Chicago
50. Karen Ignagni, President and CEO, America's Health Insurance Plans, Washington
51. Helen Haskell, Founder and president, Mothers Against Medical Error
52. Eric Schmidt, Chairman and CEO, Google, Mountain View, Calif.
53. Trevor Fetter, President and CEO, Tenet Healthcare Corp., Dallas
54. Patricia Gabow, CEO and chief medical officer, Denver Health
55. Georges Benjamin, executive director, American Public Health Association, Washington
56. Richard Feinstein, Director, Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Competition, Washington
57. Wayne Smith, President and CEO, Community Health Systems, Franklin, Tenn.
58. Mark Leavitt, Chairman, Certification Commission for Health Information Technology, Chicago
59. Dan Wolterman, President and CEO, Memorial Hermann Healthcare System, Houston
60. Joseph Swedish, President and CEO, Trinity Health, Novi, Mich.
61. Michael Dowling, President and CEO, North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System, Lake Success, N.Y.
62. Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, President and CEO, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Princeton, N.J.
63. Anthony Tersigni, President and CEO, Ascension Health, St. Louis
64. Paul Tang, Vice president and chief medical information officer, Palo Alto (Calif.) Medical Foundation
65. Eric Shinseki, Secretary, Veterans Affairs Department, Washington
66. Chris Van Gorder, President and CEO, Scripps Health, San Diego
67. Chip Kahn, President, Federation of American Hospitals, Washington
68. Kevin Lofton, President and CEO, Catholic Health Initiatives, Denver
69. Gary Newsome, President and CEO, Health Management Associates, Naples, Fla.
70. Harvey Fineberg, President, Institute of Medicine, Washington
71. Sister Mary Jean Ryan, Chairman and CEO, SSM Health Care, St. Louis
72. Betsy McCaughey, Founder and chairman, RID: Committee to Reduce Infection Deaths, New York; adjunct fellow, Hudson Institute
73. Kent Thiry, CEO, DaVita, El Segundo, Calif.
74. Richard Foster, Chief actuary, CMS, Washington
75. Twila Brase, President, Citizens' Council on Health Care, St. Paul, Minn.
76. Ilene Corina, Founder, Pulse, New York
77. Brent James, Chief quality officer, Intermountain Healthcare, Salt Lake City
78. Deborah Peel, Founder and chairwoman, Patient Privacy Rights, Austin, Texas
79. Mike McCallister, President and CEO, Humana, Louisville, Ky.
80. Jack Lewin, CEO, American College of Cardiology, Washington
81. Thomas Dolan, President and CEO, American College of Healthcare Executives, Chicago
82. Jay Grinney, President and CEO, HealthSouth Corp., Birmingham, Ala.
83. Ron Pollack, Founder, executive director, Families USA, Washington
84. Ted Epperly, President, American Academy of Family Physicians, Leawood, Kan.
85. Scott Serota, President and CEO, Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, Chicago
86. John Tooker, Executive vice president and CEO, American College of Physicians, Philadelphia
87. Joey Jacobs, President and CEO, Psychiatric Solutions, Franklin, Tenn.
88. Emad Rizk, President, McKesson Health Solutions, Boston
89. Alan Miller, President and CEO, Universal Health Services, King of Prussia, Pa.
90. Glenn Steele Jr., President and CEO, Geisinger Health System, Danville, Pa.
91. Troyen Brennan, Executive vice president and chief medical officer, CVS Caremark Corp., Woonsocket, R.I.
92. Stephen Lieber, President and CEO, Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, Chicago
93. Daniel Slipkovich, CEO, Capella Healthcare, Franklin, Tenn.
94. Charles Martin, Chairman and CEO, Vanguard Health Systems, Nashville
95. J. James Rohack, President, American Medical Association, Chicago
96. Michael Maves, Executive vice president and CEO, American Medical Association, Chicago
97. John Rother, Executive vice president of policy and strategy, AARP, Washington
98. William Jessee, President and CEO, MGMA, Englewood, Colo.
99. Barry Silbaugh, CEO, American College of Physician Executives, Tampa, Fla.
100. Darrell Kirch, President, Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington
Read more about Modern Healthcare's 100 Most Powerful People in Healthcare in 2009.