Sure you love Fido (and Fluffy). But did you know they could be, well, a bit infectious?
Outliers: Definitely worse than the bite
Now it seems we may soon have to add my dog gave me MRSA to the annals of infamous pet-related catastrophes, somewhere after the dog ate my homework and Puff scratched the mailman.
According to a review in the July issue of the Lancet Infectious Diseases, dogs and cats are becoming a growing source for the spread of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in humans.
Richard Oehler, author of the article and an assistant professor at the University of South Florida College of Medicine in Tampa, reviewed available literature and found a growing frequency of patients who contract MRSA and other infectious bacteria from dog and cat bites and scratches. The animals, Oehler writes, acquire the infections from humans and then pass them along to other humans through skin-to-skin contact, bites or scratches. The research also cited instances of kennel and healthcare workers spreading MRSA bacteria to other humans after contracting it from dogs, cats or other household pets.
Send us a letter
Have an opinion about this story? Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor, and we may publish it in print.