Both women became sick and one died May 23.
The hospital said Thursday it's common for physicians not to wear a mask during such procedures. But its statement also said federal testing determined the bacteria was a form found in saliva and may have been transmitted through breathing or speaking.
The anesthesiologist has not been identified but the hospital says he has stopped practicing there, for now.
What do you think? Post a comment on this article and share your opinion with other readers. Submit your comments to Modern Healthcare Online at [email protected]. Please be sure to include your hometown and state, along with your organization and title.