Childrens hospitals in California will get $930 million to fund their construction, expansion and remodeling under a bond measure approved by voters. Eight regional not-for-profit childrens hospitals will receive 80% of the funding, while five University of California childrens hospitals will get the remaining 20%. Proposition 3 will cost the state $64 million annually for 30 years.
Four years ago, California voters approved a similar bond measure for childrens hospitals across the state. That ballot initiative authorized the state to sell $750 million in general obligation bonds. As of June, about $400 million has been dispersed to eligible hospitals. The childrens hospitals have said they needed additional financing to meet state seismic-safety requirements and adequately care for chronically and seriously ill children. -- by Rebecca Vesely