SEATTLEChildrens Hospital and Regional Medical Center says it plans to more than double the number of beds on its main campus. The number of beds will rise from 250 to between 500 and 600, and the 900,000-square-foot main campus will grow to about 2.4 million square feet, according to documents outlining the 15- to 20-year plan. Buildings will be about 90 feet taller than any on the campus today, with a total building height of up to 240 feet. The hospital, which sits on 23 acres, does not plan to purchase additional land nearby for the project. The first phase will add 150 beds, all private, and could be completed in four years, said Sandy Melzer, senior vice president of strategic planning and business development. He said any cost estimates were premature. Also in the works is a 50,000-square-foot outpatient center in the suburbs east of Seattle, at an estimated cost of $40 million, Melzer said. The expansion plan for the main campus is drawing criticism from community groups over blocked views and added congestion in the quiet Laurelhurst neighborhood in northeast Seattle. The city council has appointed a citizens advisory group to examine the impact.
KINGMAN, Ariz.MedCath Corp., Charlotte, N.C., said it will begin construction in early 2008 on a general acute-care hospital in Arizona with a total development cost of about $68.5 million. Expected to be completed in the fall of 2009, the nearly 200,000-square-foot Hualapai Mountain Medical Center in Kingman will have 72 beds with space for an additional 33. Physicians will collectively own about 21.9% of the limited-liability company that will own the hospital, while MedCath will own the remaining 78.1%. The Northern Arizona Independent Practice Association represents the physician group that will develop the facility jointly with MedCath. Paul Kalanithi, an interventional cardiologist and president of the group, said in a news release that for several years, the association has wanted to develop a hospital in which physicians hold leadership roles in decisionmaking and operations. MedCath said that it expects the new hospitals net revenue to be in a range of $45 million to $50 million in fiscal 2010, and between $60 million and $65 million in 2011.
Send us a letter
Have an opinion about this story? Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor, and we may publish it in print.