I'm pleased to announce two key appointments and get our readers caught up on some other personnel changes on the Modern Healthcare editorial staff.
First, reporter Paul Barr has been promoted to the position of news editor. Barr, who has covered finance and governance for the magazine for the past year, replaces Barbara Kirchheimer. Barr, 42, joined Modern Healthcare in September 2004 from HedgeWorld, where he served as managing editor of the monthly electronic magazine covering the hedge fund industry. Barr also previously worked as a reporter for one of Modern Healthcare's sister publications, Pensions & Investments, in Chicago. In his new role, Barr oversees all of Modern Healthcare's print and electronic news operations and supervises our staff of 12 reporters. Kirchheimer, who had served as the magazine's news editor since December 2001, opted not to return to work after the birth of her second child. However, she will be contributing articles to Modern Healthcare on a freelance basis.
Second, Modern Healthcare has hired Matthew DoBias as its new Washington bureau chief. DoBias, 35, joins the magazine from the United Communications Group, where he previously was the editor of its newsletter on the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. In that capacity, he also covered the CMS and other topics related to healthcare and patient safety. Most recently, DoBias was promoted to executive editor of Funeral Service Insider and the Cremation Report, two other United Communications Group newsletters. DoBias replaces Ralph Loos, who left the magazine in June to run his family's farm in southern Illinois. As bureau chief, DoBias oversees our coverage of Medicare, Medicaid and all federal healthcare regulatory and legislative news and policy developments.
In other personnel news this year:
* Modern Healthcare promoted Joseph Conn, 53, to a reporting position covering patient safety and information technology at Modern Healthcare. Conn formerly covered patient safety and information technology at Modern Healthcare's sister publication, Modern Physician. Conn replaced John Morrissey, who left the magazine to take a position with the National Alliance for Health Information Technology.
* Replacing Conn on the staff of Modern Physician covering patient safety and information technology is Andis Robeznieks, 45. Robeznieks formerly was a reporter for American Medical News, the weekly newspaper of the American Medical Association, where he covered quality and ethics.
* Modern Healthcare promoted copy editor Kathleen Robson, 28, to the newly created position of special projects editor, where she oversees all surveys, and awards and honors programs. Robson replaced Susanna Moon, our former survey editor, who left the magazine for a reporting position at another publication.
* Replacing Robson on our copy desk is Pat Shrader, 45. He previously was the news technology manager and a copy editor at the Post-Tribune, the daily newspaper serving the Gary, Ind., area.
* Modern Healthcare promoted Stacie Williams, our part-time editorial assistant-copy editor, to the position of full-time copy editor. Prior to joining Modern Healthcare in December 2004, Williams, 26, was a contributing writer to the Chicago Defender newspaper.
* Replacing Williams as part-time editorial assistant-copy editor is Nicole Voges. Voges, 24, previously worked as the managing editor of the Magazine of Sigma Chi in Evanston, Ill.
Many new names. Many new faces. But they all share the same commitment to giving our readers the most credible, timely and useful healthcare business and policy news in the industry.