The readers of Modern Physician, Modern Healthcare's sister publication, recently voted for and ranked who they believe are the 50 Most Powerful Physician Executives in Healthcare. Those who made the inaugural list are employed in all segments of the healthcare industry: they run hospital systems, the U.S. Senate, federal health agencies, patient advocacy groups, health insurance companies, unions, prestigious journals and academic programs. As a service to our Modern Healthcare readers, who also work in all those settings and more, we're rerunning the list in this issue's Physician Affairs section. The list, and an accompanying cover story, first appeared in the July 2005 issue of Modern Physician and can be found on modernphysician.com.
1. Ron Anderson, President and CEO, Parkland Health & Hospital System, Dallas
2. James Mongan, President and CEO, Partners HealthCare System, Boston
3. William Frist, U.S. senator from Tennessee, Washington
4. Mark McClellan, Administrator, CMS, Baltimore
5. Julie Gerberding, Director, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta
6. William McGuire, Chairman and CEO, UnitedHealth Group, Minnetonka, Minn.
7. Elias Zerhouni, Director, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md.
8. Sidney Wolfe, Director, Public Citizen's Health Research Group, Washington
9. Quentin Young, National coordinator, Physicians for a National Health Program, Chicago
10. Samuel Nussbaum, Executive vice president and chief medical officer, WellPoint, Indianapolis
11. Herbert Pardes, President and CEO, New York-Presbyterian Healthcare System, New York
12. David Brailer, National coordinator for healthcare IT, HHS, Washington
13. Molly Coye, CEO, Health Technology Center, San Francisco
14. John Wennberg, Director, Center for the Evaluative Clinical Sciences, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, N.H.
15. John Rowe, Chairman and CEO, Aetna, Hartford, Conn.
16. Gary Gottlieb, President, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
17. Robert Weinmann, President, Union of American Physicians and Dentists, Oakland, Calif.
18. David Pryor, Senior vice president for clinical excellence, Ascension Health, St. Louis
19. Michael Maves, CEO and executive vice president, American Medical Association, Chicago
20. Andrew Agwunobi, President and CEO, Grady Health System, Atlanta
21. Jeffrey Drazen, Editor in chief, New England Journal of Medicine, Boston
22. J. Edward Hill, President, American Medical Association, Chicago
23. Gary Kaplan, Chairman and CEO, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle
24. Jack Lewin, Executive vice president and CEO, California Medical Association, Sacramento
25. Benjamin Chu, President, Kaiser Permanente/Southern California Region, Oakland, Calif.
26. Robert Wachter, Professor of medicine, University of California at San Francisco
27. Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, President and CEO, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Princeton, N.J.
28. Thomas Royer, President and CEO, Christus Health, Irving, Texas
29. William Jessee, President and CEO, Medical Group Management Association, Englewood, Colo.
30. David Blumenthal, Director, Institute for Health Policy, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
31. William Bria, President, Association of Medical Directors of Information Systems, Keene, N.H.
32. Thomas Russell, Executive director, American College of Surgeons, Chicago
33. John Halamka, Chief information officer, CareGroup, Boston
34. Edward Murphy, President and CEO, Carilion Health System, Roanoke, Va.
35. Thomas Coburn, U.S. senator from Oklahoma, Washington
36. Blackford Middleton, Chairman, Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, Chicago
37. Delos "Toby" Cosgrove, President and CEO, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland
38. John Nelson, Immediate Past President, American Medical Association, Chicago
39. Brent James, Executive director, Institute for Health Care Delivery Research, Intermountain Health Care, Salt Lake City
40. David Kibbe, Director, Center for Health Information Technology, American Academy of Family Physicians, Washington
41. Robert Kolodner, Acting chief health informatics officer, Veterans Health Administration, Irving, Texas
42. J. Mario Molina, Chairman, president and CEO, Molina Healthcare, Long Beach, Calif.
43. Patrick Quinlan, CEO, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans
44. Marvin Kolb, President, American College of Physician Executives, Tampa, Fla.
45. John Tooker, Executive vice president and CEO, American College of Physicians, Philadelphia
46. Don Nielsen, Senior vice president for quality leadership, American Hospital Association, Chicago
47. Jonathan Lord, Senior vice president and chief innovation officer, Humana, Louisville, Ky.
48. Clifton Lacy, President and CEO, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick, N.J.
49. Dennis O'Leary, President, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, Oakbrook Terrace, Ill.
50. Michael Nochomovitz, President and chief medical officer, University Primary Care Practices, Cleveland