Methodist Hospitals, Gary, Ind., received notice from a CMS regional office that it is now in compliance with program standards and would not be excluded from federal insurance programs. The CMS warned the two-hospital system earlier this year it could be excluded after a state survey found deficiencies in care, training and communications among caregivers. The CMS office notified the system on Thursday that it had passed the latest inspection. "Therefore, we are rescinding our decision to terminate your participation in the Medicare program," the agency said in a letter. Methodist President and Chief Executive Officer James Berg said in a news release that the system would continue its "ongoing efforts to improve." "We view this as an opportunity to evaluate and enhance the quality of care that we provide to the community," Berg said. Earlier this year, the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations issued a preliminary denial of accreditation for Methodist. The system is appealing. -- by Mark Taylor
Ind. system escapes threat of Medicare cutoff
Send us a letter
Have an opinion about this story? Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor, and we may publish it in print.
Recommended for You