The American Hospital Association's board of trustees elected Richard Umbdenstock as its 2005 chair-elect. He will succeed George Lynn, who becomes chairman of the board Jan. 1.
Umbdenstock, 53, is president and chief executive officer of nine-hospital Providence Services, Spokane, Wash., and current board chairman of hospital alliance Premier.
Lynn, 59, is president and CEO of two-hospital AtlantiCare, Egg Harbor Township, N.J.
The AHA board also elected eight new members for three-year terms beginning Jan. 1. They are:
* Molly Coye, M.D., founder of the Health Technology Center, San Francisco
* Benjamin Chu, M.D., president of 12-hospital New York City Health and Hospital Corp.
* Teri Fontenot, president and CEO of 310-bed Woman's Hospital, Baton Rouge, La.
* John O'Brien, president and CEO of five-hospital UMass Memorial Health Care, Worcester, Mass.
* Marilyn Tavenner, group president for outpatient services at HCA, Nashville
* Kenneth Samet, president and CEO of seven-hospital Medstar Health, Columbia, Md.
* Maynard Oliverius, president and CEO of 310-bed Stormont-Vail Healthcare, Topeka, Kan.
* Kathleen Sellick, executive director of 410-bed University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle