About 50,000 physician assistants will be in practice by January, more than double the number practicing 10 years ago, the American Academy of Physician Assistants reports.
The academy adds that PAs logged 192 million patient visits and prescribed or recommended 236 million medications in 2003.
Family medicine was the specialty with the most PAs in 2003. Family physicians work with 16,391 PAs, or one-third of the physician assistant profession, the academy says.
AAPA also provided other top specialties for PAs:
- Emergency medicine (5,923 PAs)
- General internal medicine (4,373)
- Orthopedic surgery (3,189)
- General pediatrics (1,639)
- OB/GYN (1,482)
- Occupational medicine (1,438)
- Cardiovascular surgery (1,410)
- Cardiology (1,412)
- General surgery (1,017)
- Pediatric subspecialties (755)
For a copy of the report, click here.