- Hassan Amirikia, M.D., a Detroit OB/GYN, has been installed as the first Iranian-American president of the Michigan State Medical Society. He is currently on the faculty of the Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit.
- Charles Saunders, M.D., has been named CEO of San Francisco-based Broadlane, a provider of cost management services for the healthcare industry. Most recently, he was president of Healthcare Global Industry Solutions for Electronic Data Systems Corp. He also previously served as chief medical officer for Healtheon/WebMD.
- Michael Friedman, M.D., has been named president and CEO of City of Hope National Medical Center, based in Duarte, Calif. He formerly served as acting commissioner of the FDA and as associate director of the National Cancer Institute of the National Institutes of Health. He also served as chief medical officer for Biomedical Preparedness at Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America in response to the events of Sept. 11, 2001, while holding the position of senior vice president, R&D, Medical and Public Policy, for Pharmacia Corp.
- Stephen Spielberg, M.D., has been appointed dean of Dartmouth Medical School and vice president for health affairs of Dartmouth College, Hanover, N.H., effective July 1. He also will serve as professor of pediatrics and of pharmacology and toxicology. Since 1997, he has been vice president for pediatric drug development at Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Research and Development in Titusville, N.J.
- Manuela Niewel, M.D., has joined High Wycombe, U.K.-based PharmaNet as medical director, oncology, Europe. She was previously medical director and chief scientific officer at a contract research organization that specializes in conducting oncology-specific clinical research programs.