Almost half of physician practices in the Philadelphia area say they now have a bonus compensation program for employees, according to a salary and compensation survey by Margolis & Co., a CPA and business consulting firm in Bala Cynwyd, Pa.
Such bonus programs are the result of "the competitive nature of physician billing and collection issues with the many changes in insurance payments recently," Margolis reports. "Physicians may have learned that providing appropriate incentives to their staff can result in more efficient billing and collection activities."
The survey also finds that nearly 85% of practices offer 401(k) plans; salaries tend to be higher for staff in highly specialized practices; and practices with one to four physicians often pay more than practices with five to 10 physicians.
In addition, the survey reports average salaries for various positions in Philadelphia-area practices:
- Front desk staff: $24,772
- Billing staff: $28,835
- Registered nurse: $44,843
- Nurse's aide: $28,313
- Front desk supervisor: $33,733
- Billing staff supervisor: $42,101
- Nursing supervisor (R.N.): $52,375
- Nursing supervisor (non-R.N.): $35,000
- Medical records clerk: $22,027
- X-ray technician: $35,457
- Surgery scheduling clerk: $28,454
- Private secretary to doctor: $35,375
- Typist/transcriptionist: $35,103
- Collection staff: $27,243
- Bookkeeper: $31,111
- Practice administrator/manager: $59,314