Sandusky, Ohio, recently became a one-hospital town as the acquisition of Providence Hospital by Firelands Regional Health System was completed.
Despite increases in patient volume, 170-bed Providence, owned by Franciscan Services Corp., of Sylvania, Ohio, had lost money for the past three years, suffering net losses of more than $6.3 million in 1999 and 2000 combined.
The purchase price for Providence was undisclosed. The Sisters of St. Francis, which has sponsored Providence since 1923, confirmed that the facility would no longer be a Catholic hospital.
Sixteen years ago Sandusky was home to three acute-care hospitals. In 1985 Good Samaritan Hospital and Sandusky Memorial Hospital merged to form Firelands Community Hospital, now a 200-bed facility operated by the parent company, Firelands Regional.