- Ernest Weis, M.D., has been named chief executive of Advocate Health Partners in Oak Brook, Ill. He was chief executive of Advocate Health Centers, an affiliated company.
- Joseph Drozda Jr., M.D., has been appointed vice president of medical affairs at St. Louis-based Centene Corp., which provides services for government-supported health programs. He owned a health services consulting firm, working with managed care organizations, physician groups and hospital networks on delivery and financing. Previously he was vice president of medical management at SSM Health Care in St. Louis.
- Paul Grint, M.D., has been named chief medical officer and senior vice president, clinical research and development of IDEC Pharmaceuticals in San Diego. He was vice president of clinical immunology and biotechnology at Schering-Plough Research Institute in Kenilworth, N.J.
- Karen Remley, M.D., has been named chief medical officer of Operation Smile, a humanitarian and medical relief organization in Norfolk, Va. She was associate medical director for medical quality at Trigon Blue Cross Blue Shield in Virginia Beach, Va.
- Alfred Casale, M.D., has been named associate professor and chief of cardiac surgery in the Department of Surgery at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in Newark. He was with Florham Park, N.J.-based Atlantic Health System.
- Garwood Gee, M.D., has been appointed chief of cardiology for the Kaiser Permanente Oakland (Calif.) Medical Center. He was president of the medical staff at Alameda County Medical Center in Oakland and was also the president of East Bay Academic Physicians.
- Thomas Nasca, M.D., has been named dean of Jefferson Medical College and senior vice president of Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. He also will serve as president of Jefferson University Physicians, the faculty practice plan. He was named to the interim post of acting dean in July 2000 and previously was associate dean for academic affairs and affiliations at the college.