The following physician transactions were announced recently. Unless stated, terms were not disclosed.
* AmeriPath, Riviera Beach, Fla., acquired Ocmulgee Medical Pathology Association, a 12-physician pathology practice in Macon, Ga., with annual revenues of $7.3 million. The practice provides pathology services to 10 Georgia hospitals. In a separate deal, AmeriPath entered a service agreement with A. Bernard Ackerman, M.D., a professor of dermatology and pathology and director of the dermatopathology institute at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia. Ackerman is affiliated with St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York. The company will establish a training program under Ackerman's name to train fellows in dermatopathology and a licensed dermatopathology outpatient laboratory in New York.
* Kelson Pediatric Partners, Hartford, Conn., acquired Brentwood, Tenn.-based PediaNet, manager of four practice sites with 13 physicians in the Nashville area, in a stock transaction. In a separate deal, Kelson acquired the practice assets of 35 pediatricians from Miami (Fla.) Children's Hospital and signed 25-year management agreements with the physicians.
* Pentegra Dental Group, Phoenix, acquired Boston-based Omega Orthodontics, manager of 15 practices with 18 dentists, for $5.2 million. Pentegra issued $3.8 million worth of stock to Omega shareholders and assumed $1.4 million in debt. Pentegra now operates 100 practices with 138 dentists in 31 states.
* AHT Corp., Tarrytown, N.Y., announced the sale of its physician management services to Hartford, Conn.-based PractiCare, a subsidiary of Phoenix Home Life Mutual Insurance Co., also in Hartford, for $3.1 million, plus the assumption of certain debts and capital leases, the value of which was not disclosed. AHT also settled a dispute with Jeffrey Moses, M.D., a partner in Advanced Heart Physicians and Surgeons Network in New York, with which the company had a management services contract.
* Cogent Healthcare, Laguna Hills, Calif., signed a contract with Las Vegas-based Southern Nevada Health Care Delivery System to provide hospitalist services to 29,000 commercial enrollees and 23,000 Medicare enrollees of PacifiCare Health Systems plans in the Las Vegas market. Southern Nevada Health Care is a partnership of Oasis Health System, a five-hospital consortium; Physician's IPA, which has 168 primary-care and 200 specialty doctors; and Nashville-based PhyCor, a physician practice management company.