1. Gains $60 million in annual savings from the merger, most of it coming from supplier discounts and combined corporate overhead.
2. Boosts NME's hospital network in southern Florida and the Los Angeles area.
3. Jump-starts NME's growth to become a superpower in the hospital industry.
1. Costs $150 million in fees to bankers, attorneys, consultants and other mergers and acquisitions specialists.
2. Costs $20 million in additional taxes each year for 40 years because NME acquires $2.3 billion in AMI goodwill (the price paid that exceeds value of hard assets).
3. Increases NME's debt, adding $1.5 billion to pay cash portion of acquisition to AMI shareholders and $1.3 billion to assume AMI's debt.
Sources: NME, AMI, industry analysts