The University of Texas' center originally was established in 1941 by the Texas Legislature as the Texas State Cancer Hospital and the Division of Cancer Research. Today, it's the largest freestanding cancer center in the world. The National Cancer Act of 1971 designated it as one of the nation's three original comprehensive cancer centers and is now among 40 such centers designated by the National Cancer Institute. It also has been ranked as the top hospital for cancer care by U.S. News & World Report. In addition to treating hundreds of thousands of patients, MD Anderson pursues research endeavors, and education and prevention efforts.